Thursday of Holy Week - The Chrism Mass



Saint Ephrem the Syrian
“The spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me; He has sent me to bring good news to the afflicted, to bind up the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives, release to the prisoners ...” (Isaiah 61:1.)

Saint Ephrem the Syrian offers the following insight on these verses from today’s First Reading:

“The Spirit of the Lord God is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good tidings to the afflicted,” that is, God anointed him with the Holy Spirit. Therefore, after being incarnated and clothed with a human body, as is said, he has received the Spirit and has been anointed with the Spirit, because he has received the Spirit for us and has anointed us with it.

“The Spirit of the Lord is on me.” That Spirit, which proceeds from the Father and is his essence, is in me, who am the Word and the Son of the Father, and through my incarnation I received the anointment of the economy of salvation.” (Commentary on Isaiah)



Collect
O God,
Who anointed Your Only Begotten Son
with the Holy Spirit
and made Him Christ and Lord,
graciously grant
that, being made sharers
in His consecration,
we may bear witness
to Your Redemption in the world.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son,
Who lives and reigns with You
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God, for ever and ever.



Glory to the Father
and to the Son
and to the Holy Spirit:
as it was in the beginning,
is now, and will be forever. Amen