THE SACRED PASCHAL TRIDUUM
Easter Sunday of the Resurrection of the Lord
At the Mass During the Day



“So Peter and the other disciple went out and came to the tomb.
They both ran, but the other disciple ran faster than Peter and
arrived at the tomb first...” (John 20:3-4)
Saint Gregory of Nazianzus reflects on these verses from today’s Gospel:

Let us become Peter and John;
as they hastened to the tomb and the resurrection,
so let us hasten to the bath, running together,
racing against each other,
struggling to receive the blessing first.
And do not say,
“Go away, come back and I will be baptized tomorrow,”
though you could receive the blessing today.
“Let my mother be with me, let my father be with me,
my brothers and sisters, wife, children, friends,
all whom I value, and then I will be saved;
but now is not yet the time for me to be made radiant.”
For there is a risk that you will receive
as sharers in mourning those you hoped would be sharers in joy.
If they are present, be pleased,
but if they are absent, do not wait.
It is shameful to say,
“Where is the offering I will make at my illumination?
And where is the baptismal robe in which I will be made radiant?
And where are the means to greet my baptizers,
that through this I may be esteemed?”
For all these things, as you see it,
are necessary, and apart from this the grace will be diminished.
Do not quibble about great things,
do not allow yourself such ignoble thoughts.
The mystery is greater than visible things.
Offer yourself, clothe yourself with Christ,
feed me by your way of life;
thus I rejoice to be entertained,
and thus also does God, who gives the greatest gifts.
On Holy Easter, Oration 45



Collect
O God,
Who through Your Word
reconcile the human race
to Yourself in a wonderful way,
grant, we pray,
that with prompt devotion and eager faith
the Christian people may hasten
toward the solemn celebrations to come.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son,
Who lives and reigns with You
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God, for ever and ever. Amen.






Glory to the Father
and to the Son
and to the Holy Spirit:
as it was in the beginning,
is now, and will be forever. Amen