Voices ever ancient, ever new. Monday-Week24-2013.

“Therefore, I did not consider myself worthy to come to you; but say the word and let my servant be healed.” (Luke 7:7)

Saint Ephrem the Syrian offers the following insight on this verse from today's Gospel:

“I am not worthy that you should enter my house. I am not capable of receiving the Sun of Righteousness in its entirety; a little radiance from it is sufficient for me to remove sickness, as it does for the darkness.” When our Lord heard this, he marveled at him. God marveled at a human being. He said to those who were near him, “Truly, I say to you, not even in anyone among the house of Israel have I found this kind of faith.” … The centurion had brought them, and he came so that they would be advocates on his behalf. He rebuked them because they did not possess his faith. To show that the centurion’s faith was the first of the faith of the Gentiles, he said, “Do not imagine that this faith can be limited to the centurion.” For he saw and believed. “Many will believe who have not seen.” “Many will come from the east and from the west and will sit at table with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, etc.” (Commentary on Tatian’s Diatessaron, 6)



Glory to You Father, Son and Holy Spirit:
as it was in the beginning is now
and will be forever. Amen!