Masses and Prayers for Various Needs and Occasions: For the Pope



Entrance Antiphon (Matthew 16:18-19)
You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church,
and the gates of the netherworld
shall not prevail against it.
To you I will give the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven.


Collect
O God, Who in Your providential design willed that
Your Church be built upon Blessed Peter,
whom You set over the other Apostles,
look with favor, we pray, on Francis our Pope and
grant he, whom You have made Peter’s successor,
may be for Your people a visible source and foundation
of unity in faith and of communion.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son,
Who lives and reigns with You
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
One God, for ever and ever.

-OR-

O God, shepherd and ruler of all the faithful,
look favorably on Your servant Francis,
whom You have set at the head of Your Church
as her shepherd; grant, we pray,
that by word and example he may be of service
to those over whom he presides so that,
together with the flock entrusted to his care,
he may come to everlasting life.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son,
Who lives and reigns with You
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
One God, for ever and ever.

-OR-

O God, Who chose Your servant Francis
in succession to the Apostle Peter
as shepherd of the whole flock,
look favorably on the supplications of Your people and
grant that, as Vicar of Christ on earth, he may confirm
his brethren and that the whole Church
may be in communion with him in the bond of
unity, love and peace, so that in You,
the shepherd of souls, all may know the truth and attain life eternal.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son,
Who lives and reigns with You
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
One God, for ever and ever.

Prayer Over the Offerings
Be pleased, we pray, O Lord, with the offerings
presented here and govern with unfailing protection
Your hold Church, together with Francis our Pope,
whom You have chosen to be her shepherd.
Through Christ our Lord.

Communion Antiphon (John 21:15, 17)
Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?
Lord, You know everything;
You know that I love you.

Prayer after Communion
Having been made sharers at the heavenly table,
we humbly entreat You, Lord:
by the power of this mystery,
strengthen Your Church in unity and charity and,
as You have entrusted Your servant Francis
with the office of shepherd,
grant him always salvation and protection,
together with the flock entrusted to his care.
Through Christ our Lord.

Further prayer, reflection and study:

Exodus 32: 7-14 “Then He spoke of exterminating them, but Moses, His chose one, withstood Him in the breach to turn back His destructive wrath (Psalms 106: 23)”

Deuteronomy 10:8-9 “The Lord Himself is his heritage.”

I Samuel 16: 1, 6-13 “There - anoint him, for this is he!”

Isaiah 6: 1-8 “Whom shall I send? Who will go for us?”

Isaiah 52: 7-10 “All the ends of the earth will behold the salvation of our God.”

Isaiah 61: 1-3 “The Lord has anointed me; He has sent me to bring glad tidings to the lowly.”

Jeremiah 1: 4-9 “To whomever I send you, you shall go”

Ezekiel 3: 17-21 “I have appointed you a watchman for the house of Israel.”

Ezekiel 34: 11-16 “As a shepherd tends his flock, so will I tend my sheep.”

Acts 13: 46-49 “We now turn to the Gentiles.”

Acts 20: 17-18, 28-32, 36 “Keep watch over yourselves and over the whole flock of which the Holy Spirit has appointed you overseers, in which you tend the Church of God.”

Acts 26: 19-23 “He would proclaim light both to our people and to the Gentiles”

Romans 12: 3-13 “Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us.”

I Corinthians 1: 18-25 “It was the will of God through the foolishness of the proclamation to save those who have faith.”

I Corinthians 4: 1-5 “Thus should one regard us: as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God.”

I Corinthians 9: 16-19, 22-23 “Woe to me if I do not preach it!”

II Corinthians 3: 1-6 “He has indeed qualified us as ministers of a new covenant.”

II Corinthians 4: 1-2, 5-7 “We preach Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your slaves for the sake of Jesus.”

II Corinthians 5: 14-20 “He gave us the ministry of reconciliation.”

Ephesians 4: 1-7, 11-13 “In the work of ministry, in building up the Body of Christ.”

Colossians 1: 24-29 “On behalf of His Body, which is the Church, of which I am a minister in accordance with God’s stewardship given to me to bring to completion for you the Word of God”

I Thessalonians 2: 2-8 “We were determined to share with you not only the Gospel of God but our very selves as well.”

II Timothy 1: 13-14, 2:1-3 “Guard this rich trust with the help of the Holy Spirit Who dwells within us.”

II Timothy 4: 1-5 “Perform the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.”

I Peter 5: 1-4 “Tend the flock of God in your midst.”

Psalm 16 “You are my inheritance, O Lord.”

Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.”

Psalm 40 “Here I am, Lord; I come to do Your will.”

Psalm 89 “For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.”

Psalm 96 “Proclaim God’s marvelous deeds to all the nations.”

Psalm 106 “Remember us, O Lord, as You favor Your people.”

Psalm 110 “You are a priest for ever in the line of Melchizedek.”

Psalm 117 “Go out to all the world and tell the Good News”

Matthew 9: 35-38 “The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few.”

Matthew 16: 13-19 “You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church.”

Matthew 23: 8-12 “The greatest among you must be your servant.”

Matthew 28: 16-20 “Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations.”

Mark 1: 14-20 “I will make you fishers of men.”

Mark 16: 15-20 “Go into the whole world and proclaim the Gospel to every creature.”

Luke 5: 1-11 “At your command I will lover the nets.”

Luke 10: 1-9 “The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few.”

Luke 22: 24-30 “I conger a kingdom on you, just as my Father has conferred one on me.”

John 10: 11-16 “A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”

John 15: 9-17 “I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain”

John 21: 15-17 “Feed my lambs, feed my sheep.”

Catechism of the Catholic Church