Easter Week 7: Monday

“I have told you this so that you might have peace in me. In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.” (John 16:33)

Origen of Alexandria comments on this verse from the Gospel proclaimed at Mass today:

”We are not to suppose that each individual must contend with all these adversaries, which would be impossible for anyone. For I think that human nature has definite limitations, even though there is a Paul, of whom it is said, “He is a chosen vessel unto me,” or a Peter against whom “the gates of hell shall not prevail,” or a Moses, “the friend of God.” For not even one of these could face the whole crowd of opposing powers at once without destruction to himself, except perhaps on the condition that there was working within him the power of him who said, “Be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

I do not think that human nature alone can maintain a contest with angels and with the powers of the “height” and of the “depth” or with “any other creature.” But when it feels the presence of the Lord dwelling within it, confidence in the divine help will lead it to say, “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the protector of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” (On First Principles, 3)




Easter Collect
May the power of the Holy Spirit
come to us, we pray, O Lord,
that we may keep Your will faithfully in mind
and express it in a devout way of life.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son,
Who lives and reigns with You
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.



The Lord is risen! Alleluia!
He is risen, indeed! Alleluia!